Saturday, February 12, 2011

Book Review: Eerie Volume 1 Collecting Eerie 1-5 Dark Horse Archives

While in L.A. I had just started collecting Eerie, Creepy, Vampirella and others. But these nice archives came out and although pricey for a low budgeter like myself, it was more than worth it. My sisters bought gave me gift cards for my birthday and don't know yet what they got me. It also counts for my New Year's resolution to read on average a book a week.

What happened, I presume is that when the comics code came into play, Warren Publishing, along with others I'm sure, went magazine size and black and white, to play more towards the adult crowd or at least play like they were.

I read once that either Creepy or Eerie was going to be made into a tv series, but I don't see how that would be possible because to do them right they'd only be about ten minutes long, which actually might work in to today's tv and internet market, especially with what Adult Swim is doing, making ten minute episodes.

One phenomenon that is continued throughout these mags is the host. Each mag has its own host, which doesn't seem that strange until we start looking at the bigger picture in horror and sci-fi and even crime. First of all, we've got Rod Serling, Boris Karloff and Alfred Hitchcock hosting mostly thirty-minute shows, like Twilight Zone, Thriller and Alfred Hitchcock Presents, respectively. But we've also got the tv movie horror host, including Ghoulardhi, Zacherle, Elvira, who is supposed to have made a comeback by now, and Count Gore De Vol, who is still broadcasting on the internet at least and even Mystery Science Theater 3000. Interesting how we need a host to introduce us to the scarier stuff. There's no host on Lifetime movies or movies of the week.

I actually do remember a few stories from the 70's and 80's but I haven't found them yet. And these make up the last two books for my other New Year's resolution not to buy any more books because I really can't afford it and it eats up so much time which I should use writing. Some of you might know Frank Frazetta's work which is in here among many other artists and writers.

Now, I just have to wait till next year and try to buy another before they all disappear.

No comments: