Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Early Poetry


Early poetry

My early poetry is a combination of my successful attempts at poetry and, well, song lyrics. In some cases I may have revised these song lyrics. My first two years in college were as a major in music composition and theory.

At this point, some of you might ask and some of you have asked, “What did you play?” And now you also have the answer to why I was only a music major for two years--in other words I couldn’t sing, which some of you might know.

I’m revising some titles from people’s initials to the whole first name with the initial of the last name…so I can remember.

Nancy R.
(1990’s)

Your face is like the Moon
Full
Bright
And Mysterious
Surrounded by a starless universe of black tresses

Straightjacket of Love
(1990’s)

This straightjacket of love
Fits just like a glove
You can move around with ease
But baby I can’t even breathe
In this straightjacket of love

Crazy
(1990’s)

You always called me crazy
Now I think I am
You created a monster
To roam across the land
You always called me crazy
Now I know it’s true
You created a monster
And I’m coming after you

Disease
(1990’s)

They got a name for your disease
They got a name for mine
They’ll find one for themselves
If we just give them the time

To Dawna G.
(1990’s)

My Indian summer has nothing to do with the weather
But for her sunshine in my moonshine
I night, she the day
Together we make twilight at both dusk and dawn
I the moon, she the sun
I sometimes chase her in the day time
But she never sees me in my atmosphere
And I always recede into my darkness

The Ape Hymn
(1990’s)

I am just and ape oh Lord
I am just an ape
Try to communicate and I’ll try
Try to civilize me and I’ll die
I am just an ape oh Lord
I am just an ape
A monkey with some memory
A chimp without the charm
I am just a hairy fucking ape
An orangutan with a rutabaga
I don’t have to make sense
I just have to entertain ya.
I am just an ape Oh, God,
I am just an ape

No comments: