Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Horror Songs Creedence Clearwater Revival

I'm updating my blog, so please bear with me. And now that grades are in I'm continuing my Halloween in May Event.

Creedence Clearwater Revival is one of my favorite bands, and one of the bands I grew up listening to on vinyl, which my mom played turned up all the way while cleaning house. And, like the Beatles and only a few other bands, they don't have one bad song in their catalog.

When it comes to horror songs you probably think I'm going to talk about "Bad Moon Rising" or "I Put a Spell on You," but you're only two/sixths right. I can add four more horror songs from their oeuvre.

"I Put a Spell on You"
"Pagan Baby"
"Chameleon"
"Tombstone Shadow"
"Sinister Purpose"

"Bad Moon Rising," foretelling doom and the end of the world, is a classic and a shoe in for any werewolf movie soundtrack, but is too on the nose.

"I Put a Spell on You," too, is a classic, remade many times, and tells the story of love and casting spells.

"Pagan Baby" and "Chameleon" are pushing it. "Pagan baby" is probably more about a free-spirited woman and sex, but could be about the darker side of Paganism, while "Chameleon" is probably about miscommunication in a relationship or maybe a relationship with a fickle or flaky girl, though it would certainly work for a shapeshifter movie. Either one with the right footage could add to a good horror soundtrack.

"Tombstone Shadow" is one of their best little-heard songs, and is about a man with bad luck who sees a gypsy man to get rid of the curse.

And then there is "Sinister Purpose," whose evil is much more frightening than "Bad Moon Rising." It seems to be about the devil, or the four horsemen of the apocalypse, but it could be about any eternal evil, vampire, wandering Jew, or any others.

Zacherle, one of the most important horror hosts, sang the vocals for the Southern Culture on the Skids cover of this song from the great album, Halloween Hootenanny, featured below. There might be a few more CCR songs that could work as horror songs, but it's interesting to see that they have so many, even if you don't include Pagan Baby and Chameleon, although they did write a lot about Louisiana, which is known for voodoo.


No comments: